Arts Diplomacy - Connecting the World through Music
Article published on 08-09-2018
Music is a powerful tool through which individuals, communities and nations can express themselves freely. While the role of music as a social cohesion force has emerged along with the oldest artistic forms of the world, music can also be used to promote political, diplomatic, or cultural goals, but perhaps the most important unexplored aspect is how music can act as a catalyst for peace. The main conference
of World Experience Festival
, "Connecting the world through music"
, in English language
, was dedicated to musical diplomacy, bringing to discussion the role that music can have in today’s globalized societies.
Moderator & Introduction: Iris Constantin, Expert at National Commission of Romania for UNESCO
- Rainer Kern, Director UNESCO City of Music Mannheim, Director "Enjoy Jazz" Festival, Germany, https://www.enjoyjazz.de/
- H.E. Jabu Ntsokolo Ishmael Mbalula, Ambassador of South Africa to Bucharest
- Teodora Migdalovici, Cannes Lions Ambassador, founder The Alternative School of Creative Thinking, Romania
- Mehdi Aminian, Artist, Roots Revival Founder, Iran, https://www.roots-revival.com/
- Nikolas Vryoni, musician & ethnomusicologist, founder of the music group Antama, Cyprus
Talking Points of the panel
- World music: a way to channel innovation in traditional music forms and to make them popular around the world, yet preserving the culture in the face of globalization;
- Music as a “messenger of peace” and a soft power tool for building national cultural awareness - focus on festivals and moments of great musical diplomacy around the world;
- UNESCO and the Creative Cities of Music, a model of good diplomacy - does the cooperation in the field of music present specific attributes that make it more effective to foster multilateral rather than bilateral negotiations, for example?
- Developing healthy music ecosystem and music urbanism: bridging the gap between music and the world of policy and urban planning
- The place of music in creative industries: focus on advertising;
- The Arabic, Islamic and Refugees Question: how music can help break down some of the stereotypes and misunderstandings that far too often lead to unnecessary violence and cultural divides?
15.30 -16.00: Guests registration 16.00 -19.00: Conference + Q&A
Date & Location: September 6, ARCUB Gabroveni, Studio hall, Lipscani St. no. 84 - 90
************The current edition of World Experience Festival is organized under the aegis of the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018, the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the National Commission of Romania for UNESCO