Specific objectives of NCR UNESCO in the SCIENCE domain
- Promoting policies and instruments aimed at enhancing the role of science in Romania's sustainable development;
- Protecting and improving biodiversity by supporting the management of biosphere reserves and by increasing the number and areas of these protected areas;
- Involvement in the sustainable management of risks related to climate change and natural disasters, by implementing preventive measures in the most vulnerable areas;
- Promoting ethics in scientific and technological research, especially bioethics;
- Anticipating social transformations and developments in society;
- Developing the work of the National Science Committees.
Romania holds 2 inscriptions in the UNESCO world network of Biosphere Reserves (MAB Network):
- Pietrosul Mare, year of designation 1979
- Danube Delta, year of designation 1998, cross-border reserve with Ukraine
In the network of UNESCO International Geoparks, Romania is present with "Țara Hațegului" Dinosaur Geopark.